COVID 19 Updates
Brevard College, in an effort to ensure the health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and the wider community, will take the following measures in an effort to address the concerns about the possible spread of the COVID-19 virus. These decisions are based on available data and careful analysis of the risk, requirements, and possibilities concerning COVID-19. The goal is to determine the best strategies moving forward in light of an ever changing and dynamic situation. COVID-19 FAQ
Admissions Office and Admissions Event Updates
- The Admissions Office has resumed hosting campus visitors. The Admissions staff will follow CDC precautions designed to ensure the safety of students, faculty, staff, prospective students, and their families. These safety precautions include:
- Avoiding close, person-to-person contact.
- Maintaining social distance regulations and requirements.
- Encouraging good hand hygiene and frequent hand washing.
- Limiting the number of campus visitors to 4 families per campus visit experience.
- Limiting admissions office hours.
- Minimizing the number of admissions and financial aid staff in the admissions office.
- Requiring that all campus visitors and admissions staff wear face masks when social distancing cannot occur. Working with facilities management staff to ensure cleaning and disinfecting the areas where campus tours take place.
The Admissions Office will follow all CDC recommendations when you visit including wearing masks when social distancing cannot occur, frequent hand washing, and maintaining a distance of at least 6-feet apart between individuals and families. Masks will be provided.
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS UPDATES
Brevard College will begin early and end early for the fall 2020 semester.
- Check-in days for the fall will be staggered.
- Students will be notified over the summer as to their individualized check in date. New students will be scheduled to move in between August 9-12 and Returners will be scheduled between August 13-16th.
- Students need to limit their guests to two persons on check in date and time.
- Volunteers will assist students with moving into the residence halls.
- Classes begin on 8/17/20, ending 11/20/20.
- Fall Semester exams will begin on 11/21/20 ending by 11/25/20.
- Due to the condensed semester, there will be no fall break
- Student Classroom Protocols
- Faculty Classroom Protocols
- Jones Library and the Experiential Learning Commons (ELC) will remain open to faculty, staff, and students.
- The Library and ELC is closed to the general public.
- Please keep 6 feet of space between yourself and other patrons, per CDC recommendations
- Graduation information.
- Academic “virtual” awards
- Official plaques and certificates will be handed out at an awards ceremony planned for family weekend (and graduation weekend) on 9/18-20/20.
CAMPUS & RESIDENCE LIFE UPDATES
- Unnecessary travel for faculty and staff has been canceled unless approved by the Vice President of your department.
- The Guest House is closed until further notice.
UPDATES FROM THE CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC)
- All students, faculty and staff that have been to a level 3 country, Europe, cruise, or exposed in any way, must self-quarantine for 14 days. (You must also report to your Vice President.)
- Faculty and staff who meet the criteria for high risk are advised to consult with their area Vice President to develop a plan to ensure personal safety.
- The CDC notes that individuals over the age of 60 with preexisting medical conditions should avoid attending events with large crowds because they have a greater risk of complications related to COVID-19.
We would like to emphasize that Brevard College will remain open during this time. Brevard College leadership will continue to monitor the situation and provide further instructions, as needed.
Brevard College is diligently preparing for the arrival of students and the start of the Fall 2020 semester with comprehensive COVID-19 protocols. In an effort to make the campus as safe as possible for the upcoming semester, indoor facilities at Brevard College will be open only for students, faculty and staff until further notice.
While the indoor facilities are closed to the general public at this time, the outdoor grounds on the Brevard College campus remain open for the community to enjoy activities such as walking, jogging, cycling and disc golf. These outdoor activities do require social distancing and mask wearing when 6-foot distancing is not possible.
Students, faculty, and staff should continue to check their Brevard College email and www.brevard.edu for updates.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We realize this plan is dynamic and presents challenges for students, faculty, and staff. Brevard College thrives on experiential learning experiences that involve social interaction. We are committed to ensuring all of our students, especially our graduating seniors, can meet their academic requirements. We must also be cautious and do our part to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
Updated on 9.16.2020 at 8:25 a.m.