Distance Education Complaints & State Authorizations

State Authorization for Distance Education

Brevard College offers distance education in accordance with the regulations of the United States Department of Education and the regulations of each state or territory.


The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) aids in remedying inconsistencies among state regulations and aids in satisfying consistent customer protection by centralizing the authorization process. NC-SARA is a voluntary agreement among member states and U.S. territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. The intent is to make it easier for students to take online courses that are being offered by postsecondary institutions in other states. You can read more about NC-SARA here.  Brevard College is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocal Agreement initiative (SARA). Verification of approval by SARA to offer online courses can be found by visiting the NC-SARA website. Information about State Authorization Liaisons Per State can be found here.



Student Academic Complaints, Grievances, and Grade Appeals

Distance Courses & Programs

The following policies and procedures are applicable to distance learning students with unresolved complaints about academic issues.


Students who have complaints, grievances, or grade appeals are encouraged to first attempt a resolution of the matter through discussions with their instructor. The appropriate contact information for course instructors can be found on the course’s syllabus, which is available via the course’s online Sakai site.


If students are unable to satisfactorily resolve the matter through discussing it with their course instructor, the next step is to formally submit the complaint, grievance, or grade appeal in writing using the Brevard College Distance Education Grievance Form (Linked here).  It is also available via the Brevard College website my.brevard.edu. Once this form submitted, it is automatically sent to the appropriate division chair for review.  The division chair will make a decision about the grievance within 5 days of submission of the appeal.


If the student remains unsatisfied after the division chair makes a decision about the grievance, the student may make a final appeal to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (VPAA) through the appeal form (Linked here).  The VPAA will contact the parties involved if additional information is needed. The VPAA will make a final decision, and the student, course instructor, and division chair will be notified in writing of this decision. The decision made by the VPAA will be final and not subject to additional appeal.


Inquiries about Brevard College’s Complaint Policy or Complaint Process can be directed to:


Joshua Wilkey

Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Success

One Brevard College Drive

Brevard, NC 28712




NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Procedures

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the University's complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Policy, print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form, and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC  27515-2688

Phone: (919) 962-4558
Email: studentcomplaint@northcarolina.edu
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

SACSCOC Complaint Process and Information

Brevard College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

SACSCOC has a complaint process for the purpose of addressing any significant non-compliance with SACSCOC’s accreditation standards or policies. To file a formal complaint pertaining to significant, documented, alleged non-compliance with the SACSCOC accreditation standards, policies or procedures, complete the Commission’s Complaint Form and send two print copies to the President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097. The telephone number for SACSCOC is 404-679-4500. To access the Commission’s complaint policy, procedures, and the Complaint Form, please see Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or Its Accredited Institutions (.pdf).

Please read the document carefully before submitting a complaint. SACSCOC's process is not intended to be used to involve SACSCOC in disputes between individuals and member institutions, or cause SACSCOC to interpose itself as a reviewing authority in individual matters of admission, grades, granting or transferability of credits, application of academic policies, fees or other financial matters, disciplinary matters, or contractual rights and obligations. SACSCOC does not seek redress on an individual’s behalf. Further, SACSCOC will not serve as a grievance panel when the outcome of institutional grievance or appeal processes is unsatisfactory to the complainant. SACSCOC expects individuals to attempt to resolve the issue through all means available to the complainant, including following the institution’s own published grievance procedures, before submitting a complaint to SACSCOC. 

SARA-NC Complaint Process and Information

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC, which is the portal for North Carolina.

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

Telephone: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
Telephone: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
Email:  complaint@saranc.org
Website: www.saranc.org

SARA-NC Complaint Process

SARA-NC Complaint Form

Professional Licensure and Certifications

Brevard College does not currently offer any online programs that lead to professional licensure or certification.

Professional License Disclosure

Professional License Disclosure Spreadsheet

Teacher Education Professional Licensure Boards by State