Creative Writing offers gateways into new worlds and possibilities as well as practical communication and language skills. You’ll learn how to become a multi-genre writer, explore opportunities in editing and publication, and become an active member of our literary community.
For Undergraduate Teaching
Students who minor in creative writing are equipped to pursue the following careers (and much more):
- Digital and Print Content Writer
- Digital and Print Copywriter
- Social Media Manager
- Email Marketing Specialist
- Editor or Editorial Assistant
- Arts Administrator
- Creative Director
- Write and revise in multiple genres. Our curriculum offers writing intensive courses in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, playwriting, and hybrid writing, with a focus on writing process, scholarship, and revision.
- Become a published writer, editor, and designer. Contribute to, edit, and publish our “Best-of-Show” award-winning student-run newspaper The Clarion or the literary and arts journal Chiaroscuro.
- Attend or plan a national writers’ conference. Assist in planning and managing the Looking Glass Rock Writers’ Conference, a nationally recognized writers’ workshop, or apply to attend as a workshop participant, where you will work with world-renowned award-winning faculty.
- Participate in our literary community. Plan and perform a reading of your original writing on campus. Meet and learn from working writers and scholars through our West Lecture and Visiting Poets and Writers Series.