Discover the past and develop your future in Brevard's History program.
Experiential classes incorporate exciting debates and critical discussions with an engaging professor—all while learning history, law, philosophy, and religion in a passionate atmosphere.
You'll engage in "reacting to the past" where you'll take on the role of a historical character who engages with other historical characters, your fellow students, which makes learning history challenging, engaging, and fun.
What you’ll experience in the History program
- Re-enacting the Past. Brevard College is a founding member of the Re-enacting the Past Consortium. In our courses you get to play historical games. You will join the Revolution in France, 1791; Patriots in New York City, 1775; or the Trial of Anne Hutchinson.
- Tailor your education to your interests and career. One of our alumni is a real estate agent specializing in the historical properties of Charleston, S.C; another is a lawyer in Wyoming; a third works for World War II Museum in Louisiana.
- Explore library science and museum studies through an internship. Recent Brevard students have interned at the Transylvania County library, the Smith-McDowell House, the Allison Deaver House, and North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences.
- Join Brevard’s Dr.Bauslaugh and Prof. Anne Chapin (husband and wife) at a six week excavation in Athens with the American School of Classical Studies.
- Produce and present your own senior research project in the form of a presentation, paper, creative performance, or exhibit. Recent projects have included an oral history project of Vietnam Veterans; the iconography of Cleopatra's mentor; and the Me, Too, Monologues.
- Make it a double major! Double majors have created unique projects in combination with Criminal Justice, English, Math, Art History, Psychology, and Environmental Studies.
Majors, Minors, and Concentrations
You'll receive a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in History. You can choose to pair your History degree with a 9-12 Social Studies Teacher Licensure, or pursue a Pre-Law minor. Minors in History and Social Sciences are also available. History is a common double major at Brevard.